Speaking of SATA...

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Feb 22 20:24:00 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:26:13AM -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> A point of order for the membership - I feel, at least in part, that
> reporting these into RedHat's bugzilla is inefficient as this is more
> of a kernel problem than a Fedora/RedHat problem.  I suspect the
> appropriate kernel developers are probably not haunting RedHat
> Bugzilla.

Two points...

First, Alan Cox works for Red Hat, as do a number of other kernel
developers.  Red Hat has clout in the Linux world, and things that get
their attention get addressed.  That said, any given bug report may or
may not get their attention.  ;-)

Secondly, if you're using Red Hat kernels, it's entirely possible that
the bug you're seeing is not present in the Linus-blessed kernel.  Red
Hat adds a lot of patches to increase functionality/compatibility,
improve performance, and fix bugs...  These patches may not make it
into the mainstream kernel for quite some time (if ever).  Depending
on your problem, Red Hat may be your ONLY recourse.

-=-=-=-=-