Python "SIG" meeting - last night's "minutes"

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Tue Jan 4 15:45:13 EST 2005

We had a great time last night - thanks to all who showed up
early, eager to talk about Python.  This is going to be a lot
of fun.

Thanks especially to Ted Roche, whose lightning-quick pen transcribed
the notes from the blackboard, which I then typed in (and reproduced
below).

The first order of business, IMO, is to get together for a beer, er,
have a planning meeting.  The several activities which last night's
gathering seemed to think worthwhile would be several different venues
- and there's no reason we can't do as few or as many of them as there
may be warm bodies to help with.

Examples:

  o Single-topic short talks, perhaps in the hour immedidately
    preceding a LUG meeting.  F'rinstance, "the 10 things which
    suck in Python and cause trouble for beginners".  Could be
    given at more than one LUG location - a speaker can travel
    more easily than a LUG's membership.

  o Whole-evening talks, i.e., Python "SIG" meetings.  "What generators
    are and why you want to use them", for instance.  Location for
    "SIG" meetings could vary.

  o Formal Python classes, perhaps even for a fee.  There was some
    interest expressed last night;  I'll inquire at NHTI and maybe some
    other places to see if we can find a lab.  The idea of letting
    students in, even if they don't know about Linux, still sounds
    like a good one.

  o Mailing-list activities, like the LUGs do.  Of course.  "How do I"
    questions, war stories, all that jazx.  A wiki might also be a
    worthwhile idea.  I guess it would have to be a Moin-Moin (Moin
    is a wiki engine written in Python.  :)

  o Meetings or other venues devoted to software development (i.e.,
    not just language features, but larger questions such as "how do I
    structure a program" or "how do I set up unit testing").

  o Comparing notes on Python references (books, Web sites)