Anyone interested in CUPS?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Jan 5 16:49:01 EST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 12:56 AM, Benjamin Scott wrote:

> CUPS kept trying to
> "massage" this data and was totally hosing things, even when we set the
> printer type to "raw" (or whatever it was) in CUPS.  Apparently, even
> when
> conversion is disabled, some conversion still gets done

What a stupid default this is.

Add :
   application/octet-stream

to /etc/cups/mime.types

and RAW queues should work OK.  I have a shop printing to many bizzare
printers using windows drivers through CUPS queues, and it seems to
work.  Why this doesn't work out of the box in 2004 is beyond me.
There are also strange defaults in the cupsd.conf file too.

The best part of CUPS is IPP.  I can print to my appletalk printer
through my OSX machine from Linux without having to setup an AppleTalk
stack on linux.  Good stuff.

-Bill
-----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle