Confoozled by IP Tables?

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Mon Jan 10 11:58:39 EST 2005

 > I've found that GUI.  Finally!
 > http://freshmeat.net/projects/firestarter/

   Yes, firestarter is pretty slick for a simple firewall.  I use it on my
laptop, where I never know if I'm connecting via eithernet, wireless, etc.
and its GUI makes doing quick changes easy.

   For those needing a more serious firewall (ideal for home servers, which is
what it was designed for), I'd recommend gShield
<http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield/>.

   gShield doesn't have a GUI, but instead you configure it with a normal (and
well-documented!) text config file.  gShield does NATing, transparent
proxying, has easy configs for all the popular protocols/services, can do a
full DMZ and/or port forwarding, and more.  Very slick implementation.

 Regards,
 .
 Randy

--
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." -- Albert