Confoozled by IP Tables?

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Mon Jan 10 10:47:01 EST 2005

I've spent a lot of time with IP Tables.  Some day, I may even fully
grok it, though I'm not holding my breath.  The bottom line is that the
learning curve is steep and, unless I'm using it frequently (which I
don't -- it's more a fire-and-forget type thing), what I've learned
becomes unlearned all too quickly.  So, while I am an ardent fan of the
command line, I think IP Tables is a fine example of an application
waiting for a decent GUI.  Especially as decent security you understand
beats (no security|security you're not sure you've implemented correctly).

I've found that GUI.  Finally!

http://freshmeat.net/projects/firestarter/

It is, perhaps, a bit on the simplistic side, but that's the closest
you'll see me come to a complaint.  It's a piece of cake to set up, it
offers a good bit of flexibility... it's just nice.  If you're one of
those myriad Linux users who've never had the time or energy to sit down
and "get" IP Tables, I strongly recommend visiting the above link.

$.02, YMMV, Caveat Emptor, look both ways before crossing, etc.,

-Ken