Play wav files from serial input

Brian lists at karas.net
Wed Jan 12 14:22:00 EST 2005

I am sure I could find this via Google, but I wanted to inspire some linux
talk on this list :)

Here'es what I want to do:

Setup a linux server with a samba share and directories labelled 1-8.  .wav
files can be put in those dirs and when a simple serial string is received a
random file is selected from the appropriate directory and played via the
line-out of the sound card.

Any suggestions for a good command-line capable .wav player?  And/or any
other helpful suggestions?  I've done a fair bit of serial I/O (but more "O"
than "I") with perl, so I think I can collect the input stream okay...

Thanks -
Brian