Wireless protos- 11a 11b 11g ....11x?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Jan 13 00:19:00 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:25:37PM -0500, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, at 1:53pm, jkinz at kinz.org wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a website or document that explains what is special
> > about "11n" (possibly vs 11g)?
>
>   One thing overlooked in all the summarizing so far is that the major
> difference between 802.11[abg] and 802.11n is that the the former all exist.
> The 802.11n is still in flux.  Indeed, I've seen several warning that the
> stuff based on the draft 11n standards could well *not* be field-upgradeable
> to the final standards.  That means anyone buying a "pre-N" product could
> well be left high-and-dry when the standard does finalize.

Da, is true.  its very similar to the market situation with dial-up
modems a few years back when multiple vendors were all competing to
push their own version of what the next standard would be onto the
market.  Remember "X2"?   Naturally all the vendors promised firmware
upgrades would be available for their modems as soon as the standard was
finalized, no matter what it is....

>   Caveat emptor.
			Indeed, absolutely.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"