Play wav files from serial input

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Jan 12 15:45:01 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:26:11PM -0500, Charles Farinella wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:11, Bill Freeman wrote:
>
> > (I'd been happily converting records to digital until
> > my laptop died last year.)
>
> I've been wanting to do that for awhile, but haven't been able to
> motivate myself enough to figure out how.  Tips?  Brief rundown?

Use the fastest machines you have, use more than one if you have it.

Any PII from 200-600 MHz will rip a CD at about 1:1 music time to rip
time ratio. If you have a large (25+ years collection) it will take
'forever' to convert it.

On the other hand, any recent vintage  machine w/a 1GHz or better
will rip a 1 hour cd in approx 15 minutes. :-)  Faster is faster
obviously.

Set the quality levels in your convert utility as high as you can.  that
way you won't have to rip any CD's over again. (My Linda Ronstadt albums
had lot's o' dropouts, dunno why. ) (Linda who?  :-) )

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"