Play wav files from serial input

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Wed Jan 12 16:13:00 EST 2005

Jeff Kinz writes:
 > Any PII from 200-600 MHz will rip a CD at about 1:1 music time to rip
 > time ratio. If you have a large (25+ years collection) it will take
 > 'forever' to convert it.
 >
 > On the other hand, any recent vintage  machine w/a 1GHz or better
 > will rip a 1 hour cd in approx 15 minutes. :-)  Faster is faster
 > obviously.

	Oh, yee holder of recent music formats.  Ripping a CD is
child's play.  An all digital operation, it doesn't even require a
sound card.  My LPs, 45s, and 78s won't fit in the CD drive, however.

	Digitizing from an analog source is generally a realtime only
operation.  You might think that you could save some time by playing
the LPs at 45 and setting the sampling rate a 1.35 times the desired
rate, but then the equalization filter in the phono pre-amp wouldn't
match the pre-emphasis on the record.

	Maybe you could convert those 3.75ips tapes at 7.5 ips,
though.

 > Set the quality levels in your convert utility as high as you can.  that
 > way you won't have to rip any CD's over again. (My Linda Ronstadt albums
 > had lot's o' dropouts, dunno why. ) (Linda who?  :-) )

	She's the one that did that album with Nelson Riddle, isn't
she?

							Bill