[OT] How to get calling number when CallerID reports "unknown"

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Jan 14 12:49:01 EST 2005

What is this about?

Unknown is usually from some place that doesn't have caller ID (the
person that is calling you). "Private" comes up when it's blocked via
caller ID blocking.

If you are getting bothered you can ask for a call trace from the phone
company as soon as it happens. But they forward that number the law
enforcement, not to you.

You could opt to get call screening. That will play a recording to
anybody that does not have a valid caller ID number. They will be asked
to record their name or business name. When you pick up the phone it
will play back what they said and you can decide to take the call or not.