[OT] How to get calling number when CallerID reports "unknown"

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Jan 14 22:59:50 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:23:20PM -0500, Larry Cook wrote:
> How do I go about getting the calling number from the phone company when my
> CallerID reports it is "unknown"?  Actually, it's my office's internal
> phone system reporting it as "External Call - Unknown Number", but since I
> see all other numbers I assume this has something to do with CallerID
> blocking.

Well, from the research I did into this when I started to think about
issues with caller ID, the short answer seems to be that you don't.
If you have a legal issue which is prompting your request, the number
can be gotten with a court order, but you don't get it, law
enforcement does.

Usually, a number comes up as unknown if the caller's phone system
doesn't communicate caller ID info to your phone system.  This can be
for any number of reasons.

Incidentally, if someone is using caller ID blocking, there is a
feature you can use to prevent them from being able to call you --
that is, their calls won't get through unless they disable caller ID
blocking.  Don't remember how to activate it, though.  I'm sure the
phone company can give you details.  Don't know if it would work with
business phone systems (i.e. on the receiving end), but I imagine so...

But caller-ID-blocked calls show up as private, not unknown.

-=-=-=-=-