Mailman setup

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Mon Jan 24 12:40:01 EST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 09:38 am, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> Whenever the exim -q runs from cron, I get something like the following:
>
> 2005-01-24 08:53:01 1Cs7ew-0005Tf-00 Neither the system_aliases director
> nor the address_pipe transport set a uid for local delivery of
>
> |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman
>
> (Directors section)
> mailman_director:
>  driver = smartuser
>  require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>  suffix_optional
>  suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>   -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
>   -owner : -request : -admin
>  transport = mailman_transport

I have one suggestion to look for.  The order of Directors matters.  From the
sound of that error, it looks as though the email is going through the
address_pipe transport (for which no uid/gid is specified) rather than the
mailman_transport.  That probably means that a director above the
mailman_director is taking control of the email.  Perhaps the system_aliases
director, since you put all those mailman addresses in the system aliases
file.

What you want is for the mailman_director to be listed before the
system_aliases director, so that it will take charge of handling mailman
messages (and pass them through the mailman_transport) rather than the
system_aliases director.  If the system_aliases director sees that message
first, it will just use the address_pipe transport, because:
>mailman:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
is just an address pipe as far as it is concerned.

HTH,
-N