HP/Compaq Presario and Linux

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 11:45:01 EST 2005

> So I repartition the drive, reboot and it detected a "partition
> corruption" and it -FORCED- me, from the BIOS to re-install WinXP
> home from the rescue partition.

(sigh) A middle-finger once again lifted in Linux's general
direction.  This sort of dainbramage is still too common...

Well, IIRC there's that loadlinux.exe (or whatever
it's called) that boots Linux directly from Windows.
So you could still partition the disk as you'd like but
leave the MBR booter untouched.  The system would then
always boot Windows first but fairly early on you'd run
that loadlinux.exe and get the choice of continuing your
Windows startup or launching Linux instead.

And there's always the option of floppy/CD/USB booters...