HP/Compaq Presario and Linux

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Jan 27 21:22:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, at 11:43am, michael.odonnell at comcast.net wrote:
> Well, IIRC there's that loadlinux.exe (or whatever
> it's called)

  LOADLIN.EXE (FYI)

> ... that boots Linux directly from Windows.

  To the best of my knowledge, it can only boot Linux from DOS.  It needs
the system in real mode (circa 1982) so it can bootstrap the kernel
successfully.  So if Windows is running, LOADLIN won't.  (Note that I'm not
counting the MS-DOS layer that sits underneath Win9X as "running Windows".)

> And there's always the option of floppy/CD/USB booters...

  It's a Compaq.  I think the best option is a very large hammer...  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>