[Somewhat OT] Gadget Search

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Sun Jan 30 17:12:00 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, at 6:51pm, klussier at comcast.net wrote:
> What I am looking for is moe like a tablet PC where you can use it to
> write long-hand on the screen and it is converted to a word processing
> format. Unlike a tablet PC, this sort of writing tablet needs to be docked
> to a PC to have the files off loaded, and has no other function.

  Things like this have been marketed before, but have generally failed to
thrive in the marketplace.  My personal theory is that it takes a fair bit
of sophistication to do all this (display, digitizer, storage, processing
power, battery, software, etc.), so by the time you're done you've got most
of the ingredients for a "tablet PC", and at that point you might as well go
all the way and make it a fully-functional PC anyway.  You're still free to
use a tablet in conjunction with a desktop, of course.

  So, seeking a real tablet computer would be my recommendation.  Anything
else is going to be a dead-end product that's already been discontinued.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>