Is anybody getting good BitTorrent rates with Comcast?

Bill Mullen moon at lunarhub.com
Fri Jul 22 18:50:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 18:06, Bill Freeman wrote:
> Ted Roche writes:
>  > Knoppix 4.0 DVD! Yipee! Please send along the URL of the torrent, and
>  > I'll tell you if I am seeing similar slowness.
>  >
>  > One Q: do you have ports 6881-6889 forwarded to the machine trying
>  > the download? I had heard rumors that more modern bittorrent clients
>  > were throttling download rates for one-way, download-only clients,
>  > but cannot confirm such.
>
> 	I'm definately supplying over 40kBps up load.  I started out
> with ports 6881-6889, but on advise of several web pages am now doing
> ports 10000-60000.

open, no matter what those websites said (probably not a terrific idea
from a security viewpoint, either, I'd think). Be sure to forward both
protocols (TCP and UDP) for all ports within that range, though.

2) Your upload rate is way too high, IMO; I find that allowing it to go
above 20kB/s or so begins to throttle my d/l bandwidth - not just for
BT, but for everything (the u/l bandwidth gets saturated, ACKs and such
cease to get through in a timely manner, d/l speeds suffer). Also, it
seems that a max u/l rate above 12kB/s or so for an individual torrent
rarely provides any real increase in that torrent's d/l rate, so there
probably isn't much point in going higher than that for any one torrent.

--
Bill Mullen
RLU# 270075