Setting up Virtual Mail Domains (was Re: Linux vs. BSD? - flame on! ;-))

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Jun 17 13:57:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:39:57PM -0400, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> vi, php, qmail, Microsoft SQL Server, Debian,
vim, Python (PHP for web), Postfix, MySQL, Ubuntu.

Window Manager is evilwm: I just finished setting it up on my Mac this
morning (had to rebind a key for Alt_L, since the OS X X server seems to
grab it), which is making me much more comfortable in my development.

Since you mentioned qmail, I'm reminded that I haven't yet mentioned
this:

http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/

This is the single easiest walkthrough for setting up large scale email
systems that I have yet found. It uses Postfix with a MySQL backend to
allow you to create virtual mail accounts for tons of users, includes
SASL auth and TLS encryption setup, and all in all, is simply the best
thing out there that I've found as far as creating large scale email
serving goes.

I've set it up on my own server, as well as using PureFTPd with MySQL
auth on the backend, and am serving about 2 dozen virtual hosts. All my
clients have been very happy with the way everything has been working so
far.

If anyone is setting up a site with a number of virtual hosts,
especially on debian, I highly recommend this tutorial.

--
Christopher Schmidt