Causes of router/switch hangs?

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Mon Jun 20 07:33:00 EDT 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:01:26 -0400
"Hewitt Tech" <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:

> No MRI systems that I am aware of at one facility (the one where the Netgear
> router fell over) but there is an MRI van parked just outside the building
> at the other facility (probably within 100' of the wiring closet where the
> LinkSys switch malfunctioned). Still, you'd think that the magnetic field
> and electrical requirements wouldn't be able to make it past the steel
> superstructure of the building.

The steel superstructure would be only a partial shield.  Also, the most
likely mechanism for trouble from a pulsed magnetic field would be induction
(voltage pulses, such as those which would be induced in signal lines), so
a volume larger than the building itself might have to be considered.
Good gear should have a high tolerance for such common-mode interference,
however.

> I'm beginning to think maybe just buying better gear might be a solution.

Well, how about....   swapping in a better box for a week and seeing whether
or not the failures continue?

.02
-Bill