Postfix: phantom hostname.

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Tue Jun 21 13:43:01 EDT 2005

Okay, this is pissing me off.

I've got a machine, currently "reddwarf", that used to be "nebula".
I've -- obviously -- changed its name.  "nebula" isn't mentioned in
/etc/hosts, and the IP resolves (both reverse and forward) to reddwarf.
/etc/hostname is reddwarf.  The "live" hostname (eg. the output of
"hostname") is reddwarf.  /etc/mailname is reddwarf.  A "strace -f
postfix" doesn't show the word "nebula" anywhere.  "nebula" isn't
mentioned in any of the postfix config files; reddwarf is.  I've made
sure that the postfix processes have restarted.  Hell: I've dpkg
--purge'd postfix (after installing exim), and then installed postfix
again from scratch.

THEN WHY THE FLOCK, WHEN I TELNET TO PORT 25, DOES IT THINK IT'S NEBULA?!

Suggestions as to why this might be would go a long way toward saving
the small amount of sanity I have left.

Thanks,

-Ken