ip vs. if{up,down}

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 11:27:01 EST 2005

Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> writes:

> How does Debian deal with dial-up connections?  Or does
> it, even?  Last time I used it, I had to set up my own chat scripts
> manually, IIRC.

To be honest, I don't remember :) And, like you, I always just dragged
my chat scripts along and wrote my own shell-wrappers around them for
the different dial-up connections.

Though, from quickly looking at the interfaces(5) manual, it appears
that it's erfectly plausible to have a pppX or slipX stanza in there
for any number of dial-up connections, and use ifup on them if you'd
like.

--

Seeya,
Paul