(ext3 + (2.4.18 -> 2.6.11)) = WTF?

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Thu May 5 09:16:00 EDT 2005

Michael ODonnell wrote:

>>OK - this is now officially upgraded to a double-WTF.
>>I haven't yet had the time to really sit down and do a
>>bit-bashing debug session but in spare moments I've been
>>trying to gather additional clues and I thought y'all
>>might be amused by this one: even though with 2.6.11  I
>>can't (directly) mount /dev/hde1 anywhere because some
>>chunk of code somewhere along the line keeps deciding that
>>/dev/hde1 is busy or already mounted, I am nevertheless
>>able to mount it (indirectly) thus -
>>
>>  mount -o loop     /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1
>>
>>...while this is all that's necessary with 2.4.18 -
>>
>>  mount -t reiserfs /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1
>>

>Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that I wiped /dev/hde1
>and rebuilt the filesystem as ReiserFS instead of ext3
>with the symptoms remaining *entirely* unchanged...  (!?!?)

Well, I saw this very thing yesterday when I added a new disk to a
system. Turns out that I needed to
run mke2fs to make a file system on the new paritition. Then all was
happy. I'm betting that you're
creating the partition but not making a filesystem. Does your mount
command complain about finding
no superblock? That's a  sure clue. I don't know what command you'd use
to make a ReiserFS
file system, you may need to research that.

Dan