(ext3 + (2.4.18 -> 2.6.11)) = WTF?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu May 5 10:44:01 EDT 2005

>>Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that I wiped /dev/hde1
>>and rebuilt the filesystem as ReiserFS instead of ext3
>>with the symptoms remaining *entirely* unchanged...  (!?!?)
>

>Well, I saw this very thing yesterday when I added a new
>disk to a system.  Turns out that I needed to run mke2fs
>to make a file system on the new paritition.  Then all
>was happy.
>
>I'm betting that you're creating the partition but not
>making a filesystem.  Does your mount command complain
>about finding no superblock?  That's a sure clue.

As I've mentioned several times, not only does the
(sole partition of the) disk in question have a valid
filesystem (recently wiped and rebuilt as ReiserFS)
but that filesystem is in constant, reliable use when
the 2.4.18 kernel is running.  And now, thanks to that
bizarre loopback hack I described this morning, that same
filesystem has now been put into service with the 2.6.11
kernel, so the notion that there's no filesystem present
is wide of the mark.

>I don't know what command you'd use to make a ReiserFS
>file system, you may need to research that.

Assuming you have the ReiserFS stuff installed, the app
in question is mkfs.reiserfs, typically residing in /sbin
along with the other variants of mkfs.