bogus emails...............

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Wed Nov 2 15:44:01 EST 2005

fgibbs wrote:

>In the last week (approx), I have received baout 40 messages from "(No From)" about "(No Subject)". The originating IP is 68.162.28.78

$ sudo echo "68.162.28.78    550    $YOUR_MESSAGE_TO_SPAMMER" >>
/etc/mail/access
$ sudo makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

(modify to fit your mail server...)

Here's what the spammer's probably doing... by sending the smallest
possible email, he's keeping his bandwidth low.  If the email is
accepted by the SMTP server, he knows that he can send to that address
through that email server.

It's definitely a probe.  He's looking for email addresses that are
rejected right away.  He's cleaning his mailing list opf bouncing/bogus
emails.

Modifying your access file as above, you will reject the email on the
connect string.  Your email will effectively be removed from the
spammer's list as one that bounces.   I usually add a message something
like "Spammer.  Go Away" as my message.  If you don't want to tip your
hand, just put "Unauthorized."

I'm sure others here can give other suggestions.

Brian