OT: CRAC

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Nov 4 07:27:00 EST 2005

Ahhh, back on the "discuss list" again!

Many, many years ago Aetna Life and Casualty in Hartford, Ct., who was at that
time the largest commercial user of IBM equipment in the free world (think
about that tag line a minute), bought its first Amdahl (yet another story, but
one which will not be told today).

As they were installing the Amdahl, one of the Amdahl CEs, a white-haired old
gent, was walking past a bank of IBM 3330 disk drives (at one time we had
500 of them hooked to one file on one program on one system).  He stopped,
waved his arm back and forth (rolled up sleeves), then called a younger IBM
field person over to him.

"Had any problems with these drives?", he asked.  When told that they were
having intermittent problems, he nodded.  "This room is five degrees outside
spec for these drives.....I know, since I designed them."

When we measured the air temperature, it was exactly five degrees over the
stated ambient operating temperature.  By lowering the temperature in that
part of the room the drives started behaving again.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.