HylaFAX or other Print-to-Fax capabilities of Linux with Windows clients?

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Mon Nov 14 20:52:00 EST 2005

> Thomas Charron wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/05, Ted Roche <tedroche at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>HylaFAX (http://www.hylafax.org) on the server, with an appropriate
>>>serial external fax modem (are US Robotics Speedsters still the gold
>>>standard?), and WinPrint HylaFAX (http://
>>>winprinthylafax.sourceforge.net/)<http://winprinthylafax.sourceforge.net/)>on
>>> the desktops sounds like a
>>>killer combination. Anyone got experience (or warnings) with these?
>>>
>> HylaFAX and Samba sharing as a shared printer.
>>  Works great.
>>
> How does it determine the fax number to send to? Does it still try to
> extract it from the document? The last testing I did had real problems
> recognizing the fax number in the documents. The formatting needed was
> too strict for my clients' needs then. Also, does anyone know a hylafax
> solution wherein Windows and/or Mac clients can use an addressbook for
> the fax numbers?

I ended up adapting some existing shell script that got fired up whenever
someone sent an email to number at fax.domain.com, and it just sent that
message over the FAX line. Of course, we assumed the first page was a good
cover page. I think the script was part of the 'contrib' portion of
HylaFAX.

I had to do some sendmail finagling to recognize the @fax part, but it has
served us well for many years. And we had to make it available only on the
intranet once the spammers found it. (I recommend doing this *first*).

--Bruce