HylaFAX or other Print-to-Fax capabilities of Linux with Windows clients?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Tue Nov 15 08:20:00 EST 2005

> On Nov 13, 2005, at 11:36 PM, Dan Jenkins wrote:
> How does it determine the fax number to send to? Does it still try
> to extract it from the document? The last testing I did had real
> problems recognizing the fax number in the documents. The
> formatting needed was too strict for my clients' needs then. Also,
> does anyone know a hylafax solution wherein Windows and/or Mac
> clients can use an addressbook for the fax numbers?

There is still the functionality built in to recognize the explicit
text "Fax-Nr: 999-555-1212" but that can easily be mangled inside a
Postscript document.

My first attempt to get this working is to use the WinPrint HylaFAX
(http://winprinthylafax.sourceforge.net/) printer driver on their
desktops, which pops up a dialog asking the operator to enter the
number. Down the line, I anticipate we'll be developing fax documents
within their custom application, and I'll likely use a solution like
Bruce has worked out, using an email intermediary.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com