SOHO Backups?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Nov 15 16:05:01 EST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 15:50, Ed Lawson wrote:

> Just to clarify, when you say turn it off, you mean simply
> turning off the hotswap drive tray before you take it out and
> plugging the next one in and then turning the drive on.  Right?

Exactly right.  After unmounting, the drive/sled is still powered by
the tray/IDE bridge chip in the case (a standard 5.25" Firewire/USB2 -
$40 online or $80 at CompUSA).  I've tried hotswaping them with the
drive case/tray powered on but the IDE bridge chip (Oxford 911, I
think) doesn't recognize the re-insertion of a new disk.  I expect
there's some electrical safety (the electronics', not mine) advantage
as well.

As a bonus, hotplug will see the power-on of the case as a new cable
being plugged in and automount the new disk for you.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833