SOHO Backups?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Nov 16 11:40:01 EST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

>> However, I hear CD-ROM is unreliable even over 12 months, so that's
>> out.
>
>     I have heard this too.  Does anyone know the physical mechanism
> responsible for the deterioration?  I seem to associate the tale
> with a
> study at a library, and the CDROMs being scratched by handling.  If
> that is the mechanism, it is irrelevant for SOHO.

The Digital Preservation Coalition has some citations on their site:
http://www.dpconline.org/graphics/medfor/media.html

I seem to recall a SlashDot posting a year or two ago of a
(Netherlands?) anecdotal postings comparing various "no name" media,
and that the binding between the carrier (plastic disc) and media
(reactive - aluminum?) would allow the "shiny stuff" to flake off,
especially around the edges of the disks. (Sorry for the techical
talk - it's a hardware thing ;))

>     So what gives with CDROMs?  I was going to store a picture
> inventory
> for fire and theft insurance on mini-CDROMs in my safe deposit box.

Good question. I'd welcome comments from folks who can cite
authoritative sources. Until then, CD-ROMs are as suspect as floppies.