Jabber experiences

klussier at comcast.net klussier at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 15:15:01 EST 2005

From: Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> [Add to Address Book] [View Source]

>  I agree with Ken on this one.  If you're looking for a plop down, configure,
>  and just run server, eJabberd is the best open source solution.

I found that after having deployed the Jabberd v1 and v2 servers in previous companies that I was all done with the configuration of Jabberd. Yes, it is solid. Yes, it is configurable. Yes, it is extendable. Yes, it is a PITA. After setting up a few different jabber servers, I decided that the limitations that came with using eJabberd were worth it. The first time I set up eJabberd, it took me about 5 minutes to read the quick start guide, and 5 more minutes to go and do it. And it worked "Out of the box" so to speak.

>  IF, and I say IF real loud, you need to do ANY sort of custom integration, i.e
>  ., external user authentication, rosters modified by external applciations,
>  etc, then Jabberd 2 is the way to go.

You can do some of this with eJabberd as well. It may require some patches, but the functionality is there. For example, there is a patch that modifies the ejabberdctl command to allow you to modify rosters on the command line.

>  Basically, eJabberd 'just works', but isn't nearly as dynamic in use as
>  Jabberd 2, BUT, while Jabberd2 will let you do pretty much anything you like,
>  it can be worse then configuring Apache..  ;-)

I don't find there to be too many limitations to eJabberd. What does Jabberd2 do that eJabberd doesn't? I'm curious about this now.... Of course, there is another one (whose name escapes me at the moment) that is written completely in java and can be integrated with Asterisk so that your presense represents when you are on the phone. Now that is cool integration :-)

>  Also note, that even tho there are transports to allow Jabber to connect to
>  other IM networks, such as MSIM, Yahoo, and AOL, these transports are
>  inherintly insecure, as they need to log on to the networks on your users
>  behalf.  Also, if AOL finds too many connections coming in from the same IP,
>  and they think it's a Jabber server gatewaying for users, they'll blacklist the
>  IP.  AOL is the only one that's this draconian.  Just an FYI if you where
>  considering it.

That is why I don't impliment the transports. I tell people to use GAIM, and if they want to use an AOL account, then use an AOL account... GAIM lets them have all of their accounts in one place and is easy to manage.

FYI,
Kenny