Quick Asterisk@home/BroadVoice review

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Nov 16 17:53:00 EST 2005

So I brought up my BroadVoice account to my Asterisk at Home box..

First, Asterisk at Home is fantastic, it's super easy to get up and
running. Some of the setup was a bit hard, but google got me through it.
Most of the issues I had were with some of the free services I signed up
for.

BroadVoice offers a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) option. It's only
$6/month for unlimited incoming calls and 100 free outgoing mins. After
that it's 3.9cents/min.

Right now I'm just using softphones, but I have an adapter that should
be in by Friday. That will let me connect to it using the phones in the
house.

It's a great deal and a cheap way to mess around with Asterisk and a
real environment.

Plus, you can sign up for various free VoIP options.. There's Free World
Dialup, IAXTel, and SIPPhone.. Those also work well and offer outgoing
calls to 800#s, it's great to test.

There's also a cool forwarding service from IPKall.com. That will give
you a fee number in Washington state and it forwards the calls to your
Free World Dialup number. It works, but it's a bit laggy.