Ticketing System Suggestions

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:19:00 EST 2005

On 11/23/05, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> The interface isn't really working out for us.. it's got to much "stuff"
> going on once you login.

  Hmmm, while I've never used RT (the guy I asked to set it up never
got around to it ;-) ), the website has screen shots:

http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/screenshots/3.0/home.gif

  That doesn't look all that "busy" to me.  Look at any PIM's
interface (e.g., MS Outlook, Act), and you'll see much more.  Is there
a more specific complaint?

  If this is a case of trying to turn a hard problem (e.g., time and
task management) into an easy one by pretending the problem isn't
hard, be warned that almost never works, and usually makes things
worse.

> So the bosses are bitching about it and not using it.
> Because they're not using it the tickets get out of control
> since they never get closed properly.

  And that is considered RT's fault.  I begin to see the issue.

  I seem to recall the ticket system used at NTI was extremely simple
(too much so), and yet tickets never got closed properly, either.

  "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral
problems." -- Ed Crowley

  I know people don't like to hear that, but it's also true.  There
are times where it doesn't matter how big your wallet or title or
office or dick is -- wanting something doesn't make it so.  Life is
hard.

-- Ben