Once upon a time, I loved SCSI.

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Tue Nov 29 09:30:01 EST 2005

After I wrote this original post I too was curious about Auspex's
disposition.
http://www.auspex.com morphs to http://www.glasshouse.com in my browser.
and leads to this:

> In June 2003, the company acquired the services and support business
> of network attached storage pioneer Auspex Systems. These resources
> have been incorporated into GlassHouse as the Customer Support
> Services Group, serving Auspex support clients worldwide. Employees
> are located in the US, Europe and Pacific Rim.

They were nice servers, the admin was simple. Unix OS with command line
utils and flat text config files. On the same plane with our new machines
which are Linux, GNU, LVM2, 3ware utils etc.

Our current NAS servers are from pogo linux. They are built of
reasonably good
components and are well integrated as far as the hardware goes. Nothing
that couldn't
be done from parts though. We buy from them mainly because they are on
our approved
vendors list; to avoid  "help" purchasing people, we continue to use
pogo. If we didn't
get so much "help" I'd be more inclined to simply buy parts and build my
own thing.

Where pogo really falls down is the software install/recovery. When the
boxes arrive,
they have a functioning OS with all the special utils and stuff they add
which I presume
works well. What they don't provide (at least in a way that is
functional) is the ability for
you to build the system the same way  yourself (could be handy should
your system drive
get trashed). From what I can glean, they kickstart the boxes at their
facilty and ship them
with CD media with labels like 'recovery disk.' Now those CD media
labeled 'recovery
disk' might make one feel warm and fuzzy when they arrive, but, that
turns to horror when
you actually try the poorly ducumented and non functioning procedure
before putting the
machine into production. In conclusion, the lesson for me was; know my
equipment, build
it myself, document how it's built and make it repeatable. I use
kickstart  to do as much as
is reasonable.