jabber?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:11:08 EDT 2005

On 10/17/05, klussier at comcast.net <klussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> You can use GAIM to connect to a Jabber server, and GAIM can run on Linux,
> *BSD, Windows, and OSX (via fink). As far as Kerberos auth, I'm not sure on
> that. According to the Jabber.org <http://Jabber.org> servers page, none
> of the OSS licensed servers use kerberos. However, most support PAM, so if
> PAM is doing krb5, then you should be all set, in theory (note: I have no
> clue if that will actually work).

Negative. Jabberd2 can be compiled to support kerb via Cyrus SASL.

Yes. I'm running eJabberd (http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/). It is really easy to
> set up and configure, and once it is up and running, there is a decent web
> interface for maintenence. It also supports server-side rosters so that
> everyone in the company is listed rather then having every person add every
> other person to their roster.

Yea, eJabberd is slick as all hell, and scales better then any of the other
OS servers 'easily'. Jabberd2 can scale, but it's a bitch to get it working
right.

> 2. Is anyone familiar with it's level of support for kerberos auth?
> Not I. However, eJabberd supports external authentication scripts, so you
> can probably write a perl script to do the authentication.

Negative again. Only if the clients use plain text auth, which kinda
defaults to purpose of kerb.

Not much. Most of the jabber servers out there are pretty simple to set up
> and deploy. The benefit that I have found with eJabberd is the web-based
> admin tool. I have set up jabber v1 and v2 servers, and administration of
> adding users, etc. can be annoying. The web front end makes it less annoying
> :-)

Meh, WebMin helps.. ;-)

Thomas