URL for network monitor shown at MerriLUG last night?

JP LaFleur rewster at rewster.org
Fri Oct 21 22:13:00 EDT 2005

On Fri, 20 Oct 2005, Mark Komarinski wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:30:16AM -0400, Ted Roche wrote:
>>
>> And someone (I missed his name) from Red Hat showed off the Network
>> Monitor tool, a GNOME panel applet with the ability to learn and
>> securely retain multiple wireless settings.
>
> I've been using Network Monitor on my laptop for the past few weeks.  I
> have wireless at work and at home and having Network Monitor really
> helps when moving between wired and wireless.

BTW it's NetworkManager, and the URL announcing the new version is
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2005-October/msg00071.html
There is a page for it somewhere but it seems like it's not updating too
often.

> I did notice two things you should be aware of if you're going to use
> it:
>
> When my laptop resumes, it'll take at least a minute for the wireless
> connection to come back up.  It's a little annoying to have to wait and
> fiddle to see if the connection is actually working.

Heh wish I could get suspend working properly on my laptop to encounter
this problem ;)

> The other thing is that every now and then, Network Monitor will scan
> for ESSIDs in the area.  With my IBM X40 (madwifi driver) wireless card,
> this pauses any network connections while that's going on.  You can
> really see this when you're using SSH.

I've been using a version from Redhat's Rawhide for a while, and it
generally works really well.  I've seen the error you mention on another
wireless card with an atheros chipset, and I'm fairly sure there was an
option if you right-click on the notification area applet you could tell
it to pause scanning (once you're on a network you like, etc).  I'm not
in front of my laptop now so I can't double-check.

> Still, it's better than having to fiddle with the command line.  I'm
> sure these problems will be fixed over time.

Only thing that bugs me is having to enter the PW for gnome-keyring on
the new version as soon as I log in if wireless is on and it sees one of
my networks with a stored wep key.  Oh and this is more of a wireless in
general thing but I wish strength detection was more uniform (or worked
at all in ndiswrapper).

--
JP LaFleur
rewster at rewster.org