[OT] NH protest against HP printers with RFID chips Nov. 5th

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Oct 25 14:55:01 EDT 2005

Just to set things straight about this whole debate. I'm really not a
fan of unique identifying RFID chips that can be read remotely.

I made a decision to go with EZ-Pass due to the discount and
convenience. I use a toll perhaps.. twice a month.

The RFID badges I have in my wallet are from work, and I have to have those.

Also, EZ-Pass stuff is encrypted (but it can be cracked, I know).

That said, I think the protest against walmart for something that is
only an inventory control device is silly when there's items that are
far more intrusive to privacy.

Thomas Charron wrote:
>   Yea, but..
>
>   Don't buy them.
>
>   The rest of us probrably will, and we'll be happy..
>
>   Don't go clogging up my damned express lane becouse you don't like a
> chip that can be read remotely.
>
>   Specifically, most of us just really don't care all that much.  We
> just want to grab our beer, soda, and diapers, in whatever order of
> imporance one considers them, and go home.
>
>   If your so afraid of RFID, then..  Don't shop at wallmart.
>
>   Thomas
>
> On 10/25/05, *kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
> <mailto:kevin_d_clark at comcast.net>* <kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
> <mailto:kevin_d_clark at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Travis Roy writes:
>
>      > Considering I already carry three RFID cards in my wallet (one for
>      > each datacenter I go to) and then one in each car (EZ Pass) and I had
>O:5:"album":4:{s:5:"tsilb";s:6:"TSILB
";s:6:"fields";a:31:{s:5:"title";s:12:"May 2005 Jam";s:11:"description";s:14:"No description";s:8:"nextname";s:3:"aaa";s:7:"bgcolor";s:0:"";s:9:"textcolor";s:0:"";s:9:"linkcolor";s:0:"";s:4:"font";s:5:"arial";s:6:"border";s:1:"1";s:11:"bordercolor";s:5:"black";s:8:"returnto";s:3:"yes";s:10:"thumb_size";s:3:"150";s:11:"resize_size";s:3:"600";s:4:"rows";s:1:"3";s:4:"cols";s:1:"3";s:13:"fit_to_window";s:3:"yes";s:12:"use_fullOnly";s:3:"yes";s:12:"print_photos";s:10:"shutterfly";s:8:"use_exif";s:3:"yes";s:5:"perms";a:6:{s:7:"canRead";a:2:{s:9:"everybody";i:1;i:2;i:1;}s:13:"canChangeText";a:2:{i:9;i:1;i:2;i:1;}s:8:"canAddTo";a:2:{i:9;i:1;i:2;i:1;}s:8:"canWrite";a:2:{i:9;i:1;i:2;i:1;}s:13:"canDeleteFrom";a:2:{i:9;i:1;i:2;i:1;}s:17:"canViewFullImages";a:2:{s:9:"everybody";i:1;i:2;i:1;}}s:15:"parentAlbumName";s:7:"albun49";s:6:"clicks";i:136;s:11:"clicks_date";i:1130713797;s:14:"display_clicks";s:3:"yes";s:15:"public_comments";s:3:"yes";s:13:"serial_number";i:2;s:18:"cached_photo_count";i:22;s:15:"photos_separate";b:1;s:4:"name";s:7:"albuo51";s:5:"owner";s:1:"2";s:13:"last_mod_time";i:1130715882;s:10:"background";s:0:"";}s:7:"version";i:6;s:12:"updateSerial";i:0;}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    rsion: 1.0
Sender: gnhlug-discuss-admin at mail.gnhlug.org
Date: Tue Oct 25 15:02:01 2005

the eff has a few things to say about this:

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/RFID/

Taking it a step further - imagine what happens when these things get
smaller. much smaller.

Like any tool, I think the technology itself is benign. It's how it gets
used is the problem. e.g., being able to walk through a checkout scanner
and have the contents of the cart scanned all at once is a convenience.
Having your habits and movements tracked by your jacket - not so much.

I wonder what allowed technology use is through the so called patriot
act.