Cari.net

Fred fred at lrc.puissante.com
Mon Sep 5 01:42:00 EDT 2005

On Saturday 03 September 2005 20:09, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2005, at 10:02, Fred wrote:
> > Just signed up with them after my current hosting service blew me off
> > when I
> > told them I needed my server rebooted -- my MONEY MAKING server
> > rebooted.
>
> If you have your own server, your hosting company _should_ have a web
> control panel where you can go and cycle power on your server.  Also a
> serial console.  I like that mine also has a Debian disc in the drive
> that I can switch the BIOS to boot from if that goes down.  Cari.net
> looks clueful, but I didn't see these basics listed (nice specs
> though).

My new server with them has 2GB RAM, SMP (1GB per CPU) running FC4 for just a
mere $79 per month. I don't think I can beat that price for those specs
anywhere.

You're right though -- it should have a way to cycle power, but gosh, what
more do I want? (well, lots, actually! ;-)

I could probably twist their arms about it. But they seem pretty responsive
to telephone calls.

Their bold ad in Linux Journal (or one of those Linux mags) caught me: "Big
Ass Server -- $69". I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that. Picture
of a woman with a big ass in the ad, too. :-)

> The less work they have to do the better they can do on price, and for
> folks like us, the more we can do the better.  For those who want hand
> holding, there are those managed hosting thingies...

Yes, and I despise those. Their management software always gets in the way of
my home-rolled content/commerce management system. It's eerie. It's like
there are little demons (as opposed to daemons) running around undoing all
my custom configurations.

Sometimes my clients will buy the service FIRST, then expect me to deal with
their lousy choices afterwords. I can just kick them for that.

--
-- Fred Mitchell
   http://www.fredmitchell.net