SagoNet warning / FYI

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:25:01 EDT 2005

Hi all,
   Since SagoNet has been mentioned as a good cheap provider on the
list, I thought I'd share my latest irritation with them.  I was
having bizarre connectivity issues (no route to host) when trying to
use port 8081 outbound, to connect to an existing service running on a
work server.  (8080 was already in use when we set it up, etc.)  After
quite a bit of lost time trying to debug, I submitted a trouble
ticket.  Here was their reply, which was not terribly useful to me,
except to confirm that it's their fault:

Re: [sagonet.com - TSC #HPS-11233-197]: Outbound connections from
server fail on 8081
Sago Networks - Technical Support Center wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Our abuse department has found historically this port among many
others has been used for illicit traffic.  At this time we are unable
to complete your request as such you will need to reconfigure your
application to use an alternate port.

>Let us know if you need anything else,
>Chris Davis
>Sago Tech Support

Note that they DO NOT MENTION THIS in their documentation that I was
able to find; I don't know what other ports they may have randomly
decided are verboten, and I'm not too keen on finding out the hard
way.

--  Drew Van Zandt