SagoNet warning / FYI

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Sep 5 15:44:01 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:23:56PM -0400, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Hi all,

> >Hello,
> >
> >Our abuse department has found historically this port among many
> others has been used for illicit traffic.  At this time we are unable
> to complete your request as such you will need to reconfigure your
> application to use an alternate port.
> >
> >Let us know if you need anything else,
> >Chris Davis
> >Sago Tech Support
> >

> Note that they DO NOT MENTION THIS in their documentation that I was
> able to find; I don't know what other ports they may have randomly
> decided are verboten, and I'm not too keen on finding out the hard
> way.

Agreed. I ran into this same problem recently (LiveJournal's latest
updates are provided as a stream from port 8081): it was most certainly
*not* the case approximately 2-3 weeks ago: it is a recent change.

I'm not really sure what I can do about this from my point of view: Up
until now, I'd been pretty happy with them other than a minor incident
due to a badly placed server leading to consistent overheating and
restarts over a two day period. However, they helped me resolve that one
relatively quickly: this one is something I can't change, and is all in
all a pretty dumb way of doing things.

For the record, the way I found out about this being deliberate was via
a tcpdump: If you try to connect, a couple seconds after the disconnect
(when attempting to connect via telnet, for example) there is an ICMP
reply:

15:42:54.901147 IP fa10-24.as12.tpa.sagonet.net > athena.crschmidt.net:
icmp 36: host 216.239.57.99 unreachable - admin prohibited filter

I'm still pretty upset about this: this server is what I use for almost
all my work and I had to switch to a different machine for something I'm
working on simply because of this restriction.

--
Christopher Schmidt