howto demo website

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:22:00 EDT 2005

Anybody have suggestions for good (free software) tools for recording and
playing back a website demo? I built an application that has a web frontend,
and I want to record user interaction through the site so that I can do
demonstrations of the application without requiring the live application.
Say for doing training, or documentation.

I know that with webhtttrack[1] that I can download a static copy of a
dynamically generated site, with the drawback that I would need to configure
it so that I would get the pieces that I wanted, and might actually have a
difficult time of getting a specific use case (imagine submitting a ticket
to a system -- you don't copy that process, you perform (and record) it.

I know that with GIMP[2] and a browser[3] that I could easily compose
several screen captures.

I know that with s5[4] I can generate a nice slideshow presentation once I
have the graphics.

I'm thinking that the combination of 2, 3 and 4 are my best bet.

[1] http://www.httrack.com
[2] http://gimp.org
[3] http://mozilla.org
[4] http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html