HP hardware Serialize w/no hardware ANSWER

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri Sep 30 08:03:01 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:34:43PM -0400, Jim Ferreira wrote:

>  It was a long time ago and I don't remember the exact models
> (700s and 800s?) I used but you could redirect the console to
> a serial port.
>
>  It went something like this:
>
>  From Boot Administration mode
>
>  > path
>    (shows current config)
>  > path console rs232_a
>  > path keyboard rs232_a

LOTSA  good info FROM:
http://www.openbsd.org/hp300/hp300faq.html#serialconsole400

H.11 - Setting up serial console on a Model 340
Turn off power to your system
There are four DIP switches visible through the rear panel
Flip the third switch from the left to one
Turn on your system

Now, all console messages will be sent over the serial port at 9600 bps,
8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

H.12 - Setting up serial console on a Series 400 machine or a 345,375,
380, 382, or 385
Wait until your system beeps twice (this is to let you know it's
recognized the keyboard). Type C<return> and wait until the
configuration menu shows up. Then type in the following set of commands:

1
5
3

(If your machine does not have an HP-IB controller, replace 5 with 4 in
the instructions above)

This is the full procedure captured from a serial console on my 400s. It
may be slightly different for the 300 series machines (345, 375, 380,
382, 385).

Note that the 425e does not support serial console setup in the ROM.
However, OpenBSD will use the first serial port (on apci0) as the
console if the service/normal switch on the back is set to the service
position; no other setup is necessary.

Now, your machine will reset and then send all console messages over the
serial port at 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. Use a null-modem
cable.

If you want to convert from serial console to monitor/keyboard console,
follow the same procedure, except type L instead of R.

You may also temporarily override this setting by typing L<return> or
R<return> after your system beeps twice and recognizes the keyboard.
This will work even if you have a Domain keyboard.

Since the serial console will be mapped to /dev/console, you do not need
to add an entry in /etc/ttys. You just need to verify that the /etc/ttys
line for /dev/console is marked as being on. You probably want to change
the terminal type from vt220 to vt100 or whatever terminal type you will
be connecting to it.

>  I think I may be missing one more step to set the baud rate,
> not sure. There should be some limited help available. With the
> default config you may need a monitor and HIL keyboard to do
> this.
>
>  Try google "path console rs232_a".
>
> Jim Ferreira
>

> "Andrew W. Gaunt" wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone on this list have experience with ancient HP hardware
> > running HP-UX? I've got some servers coming my way (need to support
> > them) and they are coming to me sans keyboard/monitor. They are
> > HP 382 machines (so I'm told) I know very little about them. Apparently
> > they use an HIL keyboard (I interpret this as can't use a PC keyboard) and
> > they display VGA/SVGA resolution but, I'm not going to assume I can
> > simply plug a PC monitor into it. What I'd like to do, if possible, is have
> > them configured to run headless, ie. serial console if that is possible and
> > maintainable. This way I won't need to scrounge around for scruffy old
> > keyboards and monitors, rather, I would simply conect them to a terminal
> > server and be done (like good old SUN hardware). Is is possible? Am
> > I dreaming?
> >
> > -Andrew Gaunt

speech recognition software was used in the composition of this e-mail
¡Ya no mas!