DVI monitor won't wake up?

clinstid at gmail.com clinstid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:04:00 EDT 2006

Cole -

One thing you should note is that Ubuntu includes the proprietary
Nvidia drivers in their distribution, but by default, X.org will pick
up the open source "nv" driver.  I think if you switch to using the
"nvidia" driver in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, it should fix most,
if not all of your problems.

However, there are a few things you need to make sure are installed
before you do this.  First, you need the restricted modules package
for your kernel version.  A good way to find the right package name
is to do the following:

	apt-cache search restricted `uname -r`

(just in case you didn't notice, the "quotes" around uname -r are
actually back-ticks)

Then "apt-get install" the package.  The second thing you need to
install is the actual Nvidia X.org driver.  I believe this package is
"nvidia-glx".  Lastly, you'll probably also want to install the
Nvidia configuration tool, "nvidia-settings".  There are other Nvidia
packages as well and you might want to look through them to see if
any of them make any sense for you.

In order to install these, you may need to add a few new repositories
to /etc/apt/sources.list, but I would give this a try first and if
you can't find them, then make sure you have the universe and
multiverse repositories enabled.

A little off topic...

This is my first post to the list, so hi everyone!  I've been lurking
for a while and have enjoyed the discussions and useful information
broadcast here.  So, thanks! :)

	- Chris