Open source MRP/ERP?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Apr 28 01:55:01 EDT 2006

just catching up...

On Apr 12, 2006, at 11:24, Ben Scott wrote:

> MRP/ERP = all-in-one software that does accounting, invoicing,
> purchasing, prints checks, takes sales orders, does production
> scheduling, shipment tracking, etc.
>
>   Anyone here have any thoughts/opinions on open-source MRP/ERP
> software?

I'm one toe into implementing an Open4Biz aka Open For Business
solution for a client and talked up a second one today.  I'm using the
product formerly known as SequoiaERP which is a snapshot/stable release
of the Open4Biz framework.  Half an hour install, and that's mostly
uninstalling the GCJ stuff.

>   At work, we have an MRP system.  Like every other MRP system I've
> ever used, it sucks.  I keep thinking that if it has to suck anyway, a
> FOSS solution might as well be the thing that sucks.  And we might be
> able to fix some of the suckage ourselves.  And we'd be able to
> customize it easier.  And it might even be cheaper.

The choir will now sing back the sermon.  :)  Most interestingly some
very big companies (see list on the site) have made the same
conclusion.

>   Something with a company behind it prolly would be preferred, as we
> don't have the resources in-house to do any kind of significant
> development.  But we're already paying maintenance on our crappy
> proprietary MRP software, so we might as well pay some FOSS company
> for it instead.

The folks who bundle the snapshots do some consulting as well as a few
other companies around the US.  And in a few months BFC Computing might
have a clue how this all works.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/