UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 22:57:00 EDT 2006

Hello world!

  I'm looking for opinions on UPSes.  I've long been buying APC
Smart-UPS units, and while I've generally been happy with them for
what they are, I'm encountering some situations where something else
may be needed.  Specially, high-value, sensitive computer and test
equipment in a factory where power is very dirty due to industrial
equipment (a 100 HP, 200 amp electric motor starting up really does a
number on the main supply).  The load is pretty small (< 1000 watts,
120 VAC), just valuable and sensitive, so I want to avoid anything
that needs more than a NEMA 5-15 outlet.

  One thing I went looking for was on-line, double conversion units.
These are units which are always running on the inverter, AC->DC->AC.
In theory, this yields very effective protection.  There's no direct
connection to the main supply, so transients (spikes, surges, sags,
etc.) should have no effect on the output.  Likewise, there's no
transfer time, because there's no transfer.

  APC doesn't make anything that fits the above requirements.  Ditto
PowerWare (formerly Best Power).  Double conversion units may be
available, but they're larger then desired for this application.
There's the venerable FERRUPS line, but that's not a true double
conversion UPS, and I've seen claims that uncommon-but-not-unheard-of
conditions can cause Bad Things to happen with a ferroresonant
transformer.

  I found MinuteMan's CPE line, which scales down into the 120V/15A
range.  Specs look good (but they always do).  I've never used these
myself, but I've seen them in use in other places.  They claim to
support Linux.  They have an open support form (web BBS) which seems
to be working well.

http://www.minutemanups.com/products/cpe.php

  Anyone here have any thoughts, opinions, etc., on this subject?

-- Ben