UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Aug 10 18:11:01 EDT 2006

I used to, for some reason, insist on using online UPS rather than
standby; this led me to Intellipower:

   http://www.intellipower.com/

I dunno if I ought to mention them though.  We bought a number of rounds
of them over a few years (from, say, 1991 through 1997).  The ones we
bought worked pretty well, right up until they didn't :)

While they all lasted 5+ years, most of them long enough to go through
more than one set of batteries, each one ended up having electronics
failures eventually.  I dunno if this is an issue with always having the
inverter going, though; maybe somebody here knows.  And battery
replacement wasn't always easy.

These days we are using standby units, mostly (if not entirely) APC.

BTW there used to be a place over on the west side of Manchester that
had a small warehouse of UPS-like stuff and who sometimes had
interesting things for sale.  Wish I could remember the name.

mm  (who has, like others, heard good things about minuteman)
    (or you could get one of those flywheel systems..)