UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 00:03:03 EDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> wrote:
> Beware! Not all inverters are the same - a lot are acoustically noisy
> (e.g. constant buzzing).

  As long as the electrical performance is up-to-par, I don't really
care if it makes noise.  That 100 HP electric motor I mentioned isn't
exactly quiet, either.  :-)

> You may want to consider building your own ...

  I have neither the time, nor the expertise, nor the desire to build
my own UPS.  :-)  I've got too much to do as it is, and what I'm
looking for is fairly basic stuff, I would hope.  Let someone else do
the hard work.

> I've investigated but haven't been satisfied with what I found.

  MinuteMan looks interesting.  The forum support looks promising.
They appear to regard their signalling protocols as proprietary,
though, which is a turn-off.  (It's a fscking serial cable, for
$DEITY's sake!  Stupid corporate goons.)

  I've also found http://www.falconups.com/, which has lots of
information, and looks impressive.  But they also look expensive, and
they don't publish prices.  And http://www.alpha.com/ has some
interesting looking stuff
(http://www.alpha.com/default.aspx?id=catalog&catId=/1/2/14/58/59/62/),
but information on software monitoring is non-existent, and likewise
any kind of support section.  You can contact them; that's about it.

  Plugh.

-- Ben