Easy to use CAD / architectural design sw suggestions?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Aug 13 19:35:01 EDT 2006

Bruce Labitt wrote:
> I need to make up a set of scale drawings for a workshop I'm setting
> up.  Does anyone have some experience with architectural drawing
> package that is affordable / cheap / free ?  I used to have an ancient
> copy of Generic Cadd that ran on DOS.  It was quite powerful.
> Anything available for Linux?  I need a big step up from pencil.
>
> Anyone have experience on getting one of the ~$49 CAD software
> packages for sale for that other OS to run in Linux?

I'm attempting to compile  QCAD.  I get an error about iso c++ not
supporting 'long long's

In file included from /usr/lib/qt3/include/qobjectdefs.h:42,
                 from /usr/lib/qt3/include/qobject.h:42,
                 from actions/rs_actioninterface.h:31,
                 from actions/rs_actioninterface.cpp:28:
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qglobal.h:714: error: ISO C++ does not support
`long long'
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qglobal.h:715: error: ISO C++ does not support
`long long'

So I googled "compile qcad" and found a thread at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qcad-user/message/1406 .
It said to

    grep -rn "-pedantic" <the source directory>
    go to the file with -pedantic in it and delete -pedantic (it's a
    compiler switch)
    compile, that should do it.

I'm sure it is that I am a total novice at this...  I go to the
directory where I have the source installed and execute

grep -rn "-pedantic" *

grep tells me:
grep: invalid option -- p
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.

This wasn't too helpful ;)  at least not for me...  Can anyone offer a
helpful hint?  Be gentle, I only hack about at this after hours.  I did
try enclosing in double quotes, same answer...

Thanks!