helpful amanda script

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Tue Aug 22 18:48:00 EDT 2006

Paul Lussier wrote:

> There's likely lots of room for improvement here, not the least of
> which is to determine when (and how) to use a pager (more or less,
> etc.) based on the number of rows in current terminal vs. the number
> of rows of output.
>
> I'd certainly appreciate some feedback on this if anyone out there
> uses amanda and finds this useful and/or wishes to help improve it.

I used to write while-loop wrapper scripts like that to monitor
various things, until about a year ago when I discovered the watch(1)
command, which clears the screen and then runs a command repeatedly
forever.

For example, I threw together a script to parse the openvpn logs and
print a report of who's connected and for how long, then I run it
with the watch command:

     watch --interval=10 whoson-ovpn

Every 10 seconds, watch(1) clears the screen and then runs the script.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

believed to be clean.