helpful amanda script

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 23 07:57:00 EDT 2006

John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> writes:

> Paul Lussier wrote:
>
>> There's likely lots of room for improvement here, not the least of
>> which is to determine when (and how) to use a pager (more or less,
>> etc.) based on the number of rows in current terminal vs. the number
>> of rows of output.
>> I'd certainly appreciate some feedback on this if anyone out there
>> uses amanda and finds this useful and/or wishes to help improve it.
>
> I used to write while-loop wrapper scripts like that to monitor
> various things, until about a year ago when I discovered the watch(1)
> command, which clears the screen and then runs a command repeatedly
> forever.

Hmm, didn't know about the watch command, very useful.  In this case
though, I want to parse the output of amstatus and display only
certain portions of it.  The output of that command can be hundreds of
lines long at times :)

Thanks, though, I bet 'watch --interval=1 cat /proc/mdstat' is better
than my homegrown for-loop for watching a raid set rebuild :)

--
Seeya,
Paul