robots.txt problem with google?

Ray Cote rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com
Fri Dec 15 07:26:56 EST 2006

At 10:34 AM -0500 12/14/06, Dan Jenkins wrote:
>Bill Ricker wrote:
>
>>>  > My syslog tells me I have currentlt 303 hits from googlebot
>>
>>>Are any of them for robots.txt?  Just curious.
>>
>There have been rumors of fake Googlebot spiders for awhile.
>I've never investigated them, so I don't know the reality of them.
>Just something to consider.

And there will probably be more fake Googlebot ids since there's a
few articles circulating about the net showing how you can get inside
paid sites by pretending to be Google.

This blog entry discusses the 'official' way to verify if the system
claiming to be Googlebot is indeed Google:
<http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to-verify-googlebot.html>

--

Raymond Cote
Appropriate Solutions, Inc.