SPARC Live CD?

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Wed Dec 20 10:01:38 EST 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 09:25 am, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Neil Joseph Schelly writes:
> > I'm trying to get an UltraSPARC server running Linux, but first I need to
> > get around in the system and ensure no useful data lingers around on it.
> > Since Solaris 7 is paingully lacking modern command line utilities, it'd
> > sure be easier to boot this thing up with a Live CD.
>
> I'm curious:  for the task of ensuring that no useful data remains on
> the system, what utilities is Solaris 7 lacking?

It's not that it's lacking utilities, but it's frustrating to browse around
the filesystem, trying to tarball up files, parse for interesting information
here and there, etc without the GNU versions of common utilities.  It's not
that it can't be done, but Solaris 7 just 'feels' antiquated these days and
I'd much prefer to just be able to boot it up in a modern environment to do
the browsing.  That's the place where I know command line options and in many
cases, options I take for granted aren't even in the Solaris 7 binaries for
things like ps, ls, tar, etc...
-N